Monday, November 28, 2011

pathfinders and pubs

These, I think, might be my final video posts for a little while, so if you've learned something AND you've enjoyed the medium, spare a thought to the idea that the WAY we deliver information may have as much to do with HOW students learn as the information itself.

Now allow me introduce you to Nik and Fe who have something in common: Pathfinders. Yep, this term came up for the BOTH of them even though they were interviewed at different times and in different rooms. Wow, it's just like the twilight zone.

Anyway, what are these Pathfinders? Pathfinders provide teachers and students with a 'map' which assists in navigating the plethora of resources available to us in print and online. Pathfinders help us reach our destination when we are in danger of getting lost or bogged down.

Let's hear from Nik, a teacher of English, English Language, English Literature and one time Year 12 English Team Leader. She has worked very closely with TL's and has expressed a genuine appreciation of the support they offer.

  PATHFINDERS SAVE TIME

Thanks Nik, and GORGEOUS jewellery by the way.

And this is Fe. She is also wearing some lovely jewellery. Fe, a self confessed environmental enthusiast teaches Geography and Aboriginal Studies and has a heartfelt passion for Indigenous issues. She also mentioned the P word. I think Pathfinders must come in very handy.

PATHFINDERS KEEP RESOURCES UP-TO-DATE

What have we learned here from Nik and Fe?

1) TIME is used well when teachers and students have access to Pathfinders (and we ALL know how busy teachers are)
2) The most UP-TO-DATE and reliable resources are likely to be promoted with Pathfinders
3) They both see the creation of Pathfinders as an essential role of the TL

By the way, if you watched the clips you would have noticed that Nik referred to them as Pathways. Anyone pick that up? If you did, great! You were listening and thinking. But you'll also have realised that these terms refer to the same idea. The terminology may be different but the idea is the same.

Next up is Roxanne a qualified TL. I have Roxanne to thank for spurring my interest in this course, so I think it's about time we heard from her.

TL's CREATE A SAFE AND WELCOMING PLACE
So, Roxanne sees HER role as: supporting recreational reading, ensuring resources are available to support curriculum, and being someone who can help find NOT just the right book, but more critically the RIGHT information. There's an important difference.

And here's one we haven't heard before. Roxanne hopes that the library can be a safe and welcoming place. I like that. It's a bit Cheers but without the alcohol. I was suddenly inspired to look up the lyrics to the Cheers theme song, some of which I have included here. Anyone of my generation will be singing them by now, weeping in their beers.

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot.
Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you wanna go..

Where everybody knows your name
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
the troubles are all the same.
you wanna be where everybody knows your name

Now, I'm starting to sound like I haven't done my Required Reading and that I'm just trying to divert your attention away from the rigors of my academic obligations. Tempting, yes, but I assure you, Dear Supervisor, that I've read Purcell and Herring and Lamb & Johnson, and I promise to tackle these more explicitly soon. But you will have noticed by now that much of what we have gleaned anecdotally about the role of the TL through the interviews has been supported by the hard research. Even so, I haven't read much so far about the role of the TL including creating this kind of Cheery environment. And yet, somehow it strikes me as important. I suppose one could argue that comfortable friendly spaces where kids feel they can escape their worries has little to do with learning but I don't agree. I get the feeling that this issue will be addressed more fully in another subject further down the track like maybe, say, Learning Spaces 101? But while we are here, I'd just like to say that I like the idea of the TL being mindful of creating learning spaces that are SAFE, WELCOMING and AFFIRMING. And for so many students who feel a little lost in the outside world, the library can be a bit like a Claytons Cheers, a place they can Take a Break from their Worries and where People Know their Name. And we all know Happy Kids Learn Better.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Anna, wrote you a long post then discovered that I had to sign in and create an account! Yes I have alot to learn.
    Loved reading your blog and viewing the clips. I found it hard to hear so plugged in some speakers and vaaoom...totally engaged!
    I found them all inspiring, the Pathways reminded me of a couple, friends of mine who are indigenous performers. They describe themselves as ground breakers and bridge builders. They have done alot of work in schools, telling stories, painting stories and dancing stories.
    I have done a couple of blocks in a library in a high school and have approached some teachers with resources, some don't always like to be approached. I guess you break ground where you can build bridges and create pathways!!!
    We have alot to learn. I have been doing some renovating creating new learning spaces, putting up new shelving creating a safe welcoming space. Loved the pot plants in one of the clips!
    I followed your link on the forum, all I have done is an introduction. My blog is tanialibraryquest at wordpress.
    Cheers
    Tania

    ReplyDelete