Monday, November 21, 2011

information scavenger

Well, here we go, my FIRST BLOG. Thank you CSU Wagga Wagga for the first of many firsts to come. I have just embarked on a Masters Course in Teacher Librarianship having worked as a teacher since 1993 and marked, oh I don't know, about 3 million essays and written as many reports. Just completed my final student report for the year last night, which is why I am blogging today. There's a grey hair for every difficult student and a line on my forehead for every late night marking (which makes me sound pretty unsightly I know, and that's not far from the truth today - just take a look at the profile picture). However, there are also laughter lines from the fun and satisfaction gained from the classroom and a corny flutter of the heart when I think of all the great things I've seen students achieve over the years, especially those who felt they had nothing to give. Ah, the joys of teaching.

But it's time for a change, and the pulling me towards it with a great sense of gusto is a future in libraries and information delivery. Without information we live in a vacuum of knowledge and vicarious experiences (which can be just as valuable as real ones, I reckon). We need knowledge and information not just to pass exams and write great essays, but to become better people and more active and concerned citizens. I like that libraries can provide that function. And I also love the idea of libraries moving into the digital age. Actually, from a TL point of view that really terrifies me - I now need to become the EXPERT in understanding how digital information can be accessed and delivered to support learning - but I love the fact that the digital age breaks down borders. As long as you have access to the internet, there is no such thing as remote. Bring on the NBN and may a learning revolution occur in all corners of this vast magnificent land of ours.

Back to this blog and TL subject 401... next post should be all about my reading and all the great stuff I am learning. I hope to keep readers regularly blogged and posted and I ask for your forgiveness in advance if this becomes a sounding board for my own private frustrations. At best is should be enlightening. At worst? A cry for help. Feel free to comment but remember like the rest of you in 401, I am wearing 'L' plates.

Until then, Anna :)

No comments:

Post a Comment