Tuesday, November 22, 2011

what do they DO exactly?

ah ha! So this is how you post a new blog entry. It only took me two days, but I'm here (applause).

Just contemplating my academic reading and THE BIG QUESTION. Which today is, What exactly IS the role of the teacher librarian? Or shall we say Teacher Librarian capital T capital L, to denote importance and grammatical correctness. Must read Herring (done) and Purcell (can't find it but I will) and whole lot more to get to the bottom of this curly question as it's worth 60% of my final grade for this subject.

From a teacher's perspective this is interesting, but it shouldn't be. I really should KNOW, having worked intimately with TLs for years and years. And years. Or have I? What do they do exactly and how have I benefited from their expertise over the years?

Here is something that struck me about Herring's article: learning resources come in 3 forms, electronic, print and HUMAN. And by human form, I don't think he meant the cute little newspaper  cartoon man with a newspaper hat covered in newsprint from The Age (or am I imagining him? I can't find him anywhere on google images) but a real person who has experience and inherent value and understanding because of what they DO and what they KNOW. Well excuse my capitals, but this means humans, especially those who have already morphed into brilliant TLs, could well be the most important resource in my investigations. I like that. I think I'll go and check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment