Friday, November 25, 2011

The Human Resource

So where were we? Ah yes. As per the requirements of TL401 I am doing a little investigating about the role of the TL. Which OF COURSE I need to know lots about before I actually become one. However, before I do any more reading I want to exploit what Herring calls the 'human resource' (otherwise known as my colleagues). Human exploitation library style. I like that. But there's no point in having a Blog if I can't share that with all of you out there in blog-land (hello supervisor) so I have decided to make this resource as accessible, authentic and as humanly real as possible with a video post. Or two. Here goes...

This is Alison, an experienced TL reflecting on her role in a very well resourced secondary school library.
TAKE YOURSELF TO ANOTHER WORLD
  
Yes, well I haven't quite mastered the editing yet, but never mind that. Here's a tweet sized summary of what she said: TLs are multifaceted and well resourced. They are instrumental in teaching students to be selective and critical users of information. They promote reading for enjoyment.

Lovely! Thanks, Alison.

And here is Steph. I'd like to get back to Steph at some stage because she's taught in an indigenous school in Arnhem Land and it would be great to look into that further. How do libraries work in such unique environments? How does being in a remote indigenous community impact the role of the TL? Do they even have TLs? These are questions I will have to ask her later because I didn't think to ask her at the time. Meanwhile, let's hear briefly from this experienced teacher of English...

A LOVE OF READING
Thanks, Steph :) Remind me to talk to you later about Arnhem Land.

Now, Jen is experienced English and History teacher who has also variously held the position of Head of Department. Her experience in both the state and independent education systems in Victoria and abroad offers some interesting insights into their differences as she draws comparisons between the two...

POOR FUNDING LIMITS THE ROLE OF THE TL
GREAT LIBRARIE$ ARE WELL RE$OURCED

And I really do believe Jen could have talked for another half an hour about the the f-word. And if you are not thinking 'funding', you've obviously skipped the video clip. Go back and watch it.

See? well worth it.
Okay, It's good night for now, but do stay tuned. Coming up we'll hear from a few more human resources including a Library Technician who works in the library of a large, well-resourced independent school, the Head of the English Department at a large, well-resourced independent school, and, Journalist, Author and winner of Race-Around-the-World 1998, Tony Wilson, who just happened to be at a large, well-resourced independent school at the right time for this blog.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment